CompTIA 220-701 Exam - CertifySky.com
Free 220-701 Sample Questions:
1. Which of the following types of portable media offers the LARGEST storage capacity?
2. Which of the following are valid ports for printing over a network? (Select TWO).
A. USB 001
E. IEEE 1394
3. While performing a preventative maintenance check on a personal computer, a technician notices that
several unused expansion card slots have open ports. Which of the following BEST describes why the
covers for these card slots should be reinstalled?
A. Help limit radio frequency interference (RFI) inside the case.
B. Help ensure proper air flow through the case.
C. Help prevent moisture buildup in the case.
D. Help limit electrostatic discharge (ESD) inside the case.
4. Which of the following protocols uses port 80?
5. Which of the following allows verification of the port that a printer is currently using?
A. The print queue window from system tray
B. Properties of the printer from the Printers Control Panel
C. Print spooler view in the Printers Control Panel
D. Properties of the port within Device Manager
6. Users are reporting that print jobs being sent to a shared printer are not printing. A technician has verified
the printer is online and prints a configuration page from the printer. Which of the following is the MOST
likely cause of the issue? (Select TWO).
A. QoS for printing is not functioning over the LAN.
B. The printer needs to have a cartridge replaced.
C. A job in error status is at the top of the print queue.
D. The printers IP address has changed.
E. New drivers have been released and need to be installed.
7. Which of the following connector types is used with twisted pair cable?
8. Which of the following bus speeds is used for a PCIe card? (Select TWO).
9. A user calls and says they cannot get to the Internet. How would a technician walk the user through
checking the IP address and default Gateway on the computer?
A. Start>Run>type ipconfig>click OK and ask user to read the results.
B. Start>Run>type cmd>click OK>type ipconfig /flushdns>press enter and ask user to read the results.
C. Start>Run>type cmd>click OK>type ipconfig /release>press enter key and ask user to read the results.
D. Start>Run>type cmd>click OK>type ipconfig /all>press enter key and ask user to read the results.
10. Which of the following BEST describes the function of a DNS server?
A. Secures network traffic through shared key encryption.
B. Provides resolution of host names to IP addresses.
C. Provides security for a network through the use of ACLs.
D. Dynamically assigns IP addresses for easy client configuration.
11. Which of the following is needed to perform an ASR restore in Windows XP?
A. Operating system CD
B. Recovery console
C. Vendor recovery CD
D. ERD disk
12. Which of the following commands verifies connectivity between two hosts? (Select TWO).
13. A technician notices that there is a second partition on the primary hard drive. This partition is not
assigned a drive letter and is not accessible from Windows. Which of the following is the MOST likely
explanation for this extra partition?
A. Space reserved by the drive manufacturer for firmware.
B. Space set aside by Windows for use by the virtual memory swap file.
C. A potentially dangerous virus has been downloaded onto the system.
D. A recovery partition put there by the manufacturer.
14. Which of the following describes the 25 or 9 pin connector with male pins on the back of a laptop
A. Parallel port
B. Serial port
C. IEEE 1394 port
D. USB port
15. A technician needs to assign a default subnet mask for a class B network to a network device that was
just installed. Which of the following would the technician use?
16. Which of the following printers would be the BEST choice for printing on multi-part forms?
A. Impact printer
B. Thermal printer
C. Inkjet printer
D. Laser printer
17. A user reports that their computer suddenly will not boot. When the technician arrives, they discover that
the user is very worried they will not be able to complete a research paper theyve been working on which is
due by the end of the day. Which of the following is an appropriate response to the users concerns?
A. A Trojan may have infected the OS or worked its way into the MBR. What did you download recently that
caused the problem?
B. I understand your concern, and will try to have your computer working again as quickly as possible so
that you can finish your report.
C. If the paper was so important to you, you should have created a backup copy so you could finish it on
D. I do not understand why you are upset. I am sure your professor will understand and you will be able to
turn in the paper tomorrow.
18. Which of the following hardware is hot pluggable? (Select THREE).
B. Express Card/54
C. PS/2 peripherals
D. MIDI devices
19. Which of the following is an advantage of upgrading to a 64-bit version of Windows?
A. A greater number of dynamic disks or disks larger than 1 TB can be supported.
B. Multiple applications running in 16-bit compatibility mode are supported.
C. More than 4GB of RAM, in some cases up to 128GB of RAM can be supported.
D. A new anti-virus protection scheme called Data Execution Prevention is supported.
20. A technician is replacing fifteen 21 CRTs with 19 LCDs. The storage room is on the other side of the
building. Which of the following safety measures should the technician take?
A. Wear a back brace when lifting and carrying the CRTs to the storage room.
B. Wear anti-static wrist straps to prevent ESD in the new monitors.
C. Recycle the monitors after removing the capacitors for use in other monitors.
D. Ask several technicians for help in lift the CRT monitors and use a cart for transporting them.
21. A technician is installing Windows XP on a system that has a SATA HDD. Which of the following will the
technician MOST likely have to do to start the installation?
A. Press the F8 Key
B. Press the F3 Key
C. Press the F2 Key
D. Press the F6 Key
22. After installing a new SATA hard drive the technician notices the drive is hot to the touch and is giving off
a slight odor. Which of the following should the technician do?
A. Install a larger fan near the hard drive to cool the system.
B. Clean the drive with compressed air and continue to use it.
C. Remove and replace the drive.
D. Apply more thermal compound and reseat the drive.
23. Which of the following BEST describes the initial process of setting up a new operating system from a
A. Format a partition, install device drivers, and install the operating system.
B. Create a partition, format the partition, and install the operating system.
C. Install the operating system, create a partition, and install device drivers.
D. Install the operating system, install device drivers, and create a partition.
24. Which of the following interfaces are typically supported on the input side of a KVM switch?
A. PS/2, VGA, USB
B. DB25, DB9, PS/2
C. PS/2, DB9, USB
D. PS/2, DB25, VGA
25. While a technician is responding to a customers call, a co-worker keeps insisting on telling the
technician about their weekend. Which of the following is the BEST course of action?
A. Ask the customer permission to put them on hold and listen politely to the co-workers stories.
B. Put the customer on hold just for a few minutes and join the conversation.
C. Forward the customer to another technician and join the conversation.
D. Ask the customer permission to put them on hold and politely ask the co-worker to talk later.
26. Which of the following is the maximum FAT32 volume size Windows 2000 and XP will recognize?
A. Up to 16GB
B. Up to 32GB
C. Up to 1024GB
D. Up to 2048GB
27. The BEST information to document when changing the refresh rate on the display is to include:
A. the previous refresh rate and the new refresh rate applied.
B. the method that was used to access the display properties to change the refresh rate.
C. all the refresh rates that were tested.
D. the color resolution the user requested as well as the refresh rate.
28. Which of the following features is only available with the Windows XP Professional version as compared
to the Windows XP Home version?
A. Simple File Sharing
B. Basic Disk Partitions
C. Remote Desktop
D. Joining a domain
29. A technician receives a boot error message OS not found. Which of the following should the technician
A. The boot order in the BIOS
B. If Plug and Play is enabled
C. If the computer is in Safe Mode
D. If the BIOS is current
30. A customer reports that the laser printer produces poor quality printouts. Having arrived onsite, the
technician has a discussion with the customer and reviews some examples of their print jobs. Which of
the following should the technician do NEXT?
A. Clean the toner cartridge.
B. Change the paper.
C. Replace the fuser.
D. Print a test page.